Blocked Drain Services in Canberra & Queanbeyan
We pride ourselves on customer service – providing polite, professional and reliable services with high quality workmanship.
Are you having issues with blocked drains in Canberra or Queanbeyan? Look no further than JML Plumbing and Gas! Our team of skilled plumbers is fully equipped to tackle any blocked drain issue you may encounter. From toilets and bathrooms to kitchens and laundries, we’ve got your plumbing needs covered. We also specialize in clearing stormwater drains and sewer lines, ensuring your plumbing woes are a thing of the past.
Signs of a Blocked Drains in Canberra and Queanbeyan
If you’ve noticed any of the following signs, it’s likely that you’re facing a blocked drain issue:
- Water drains slowly or not at all in sinks, baths, or showers.
- Unpleasant odors emanate from drains, whether internal or external.
- The water level in your toilet remains unusually high after flushing.
- Strange noises, like gurgling sounds, coming from your drains.
- Sewage appearing and causing unpleasant odors in unrelated drains.
- Overflow Relief Gully (ORG) overflowing with sewage on your property.
In the event of a drain flooding, inside or outside your home, you can count on our emergency plumbing services to swiftly clear blocked drains.
Common Causes of Blocked Drains in Canberra and Queanbeyan
Blocked drains can occur for various reasons, including:
- Kitchen waste buildup, such as grease, oil, fat, food scraps, starches, coffee grounds, tea leaves, dirt, and soap scum.
- Bathroom waste accumulation, including feces, toilet paper, tissues, hair, skin, soap scum, dirt, and shampoo.
- Intrusive tree roots infiltrating your plumbing.
- Flushing foreign objects down toilets.
- Aging or faulty plumbing infrastructure.
- Ingress of dirt and sand through pipe cracks.
- Leaves and twigs entering through outdoor drains and gutters.
Our Approach to Clearing Blocked Drains in Canberra and Queanbeyan
At JML Plumbing and Gas, we rely on time-tested plumbing techniques and top-quality equipment to clear blocked drains effectively in Canberra and Queanbeyan. Our equipment includes:
- Pipe camera: For thorough inspection of your plumbing.
- Electric eel: Ideal for removing stubborn blockages.
- High-pressure water jetter: Effective at clearing blockages caused by buildup.
- Excavator: Used for excavating underground pipes if necessary.
- Hydro-plunger: Provides powerful pressure for blockage removal.
- Foaming root killer: Helps prevent root intrusion in the future.
Rest assured that all our plumbers are licensed to perform drain unblocking services in Canberra (ACT) and Queanbeyan (NSW).
Stormwater Drains & Sewer Lines
JML Plumbing and Gas is fully licensed to clear stormwater drains and sewer lines in Canberra and Queanbeyan. Blocked stormwater drains typically result from organic matter buildup, such as leaves, soil, and twigs, while blocked sewer lines are often caused by foreign objects, tree roots, or aging infrastructure.
Notably, many residents may not be aware that responsibility and costs for blocked stormwater drains and sewer lines in Canberra could fall under Roads ACT (stormwater) or Icon Water (sewage). If the blockage is on public land in the stormwater or sewer tie, the relevant authority covers the repair and associated costs. In many cases, Roads ACT or Icon Water may authorize our plumbers to conduct the necessary repairs on their behalf.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the causes of blocked drains?
Most blockages are caused by tree roots entering the drains seeking water and nutrients. Once a tree root has entered a drain, it will continue growing larger and thicker until it is cleared. If they enter the drainage system they tend to grow back even after being cleared. Debris and silt building up from garden materials washing into stormwater sumps and open drains can also cause blockages. Fat and oils are common blockages in drainage systems.
In some circumstances, faults in the drains are from incorrect installation and the earth moving from underneath the pipe. This can remove support from underneath the pipe, resulting in collapsed pipes.
How long will it take to fix?
It depends on the cause of the blockage. We’ll use our specialist tools to find out exactly where the problem is, what’s causing it, then give you an accurate estimate from there.
When can you get here?
A fully qualified team member can be there on the same day as your call! We understand blocked drains can be stressful, and pride ourselves on same-day service. Please note additional charges may apply for after-hours.
How do I know if my drains are blocked?
Slow drainage, bad smells, gurgling noises, overflowing, or just plain blocked, there are a range of signs that can show if your drain is blocked. A few common ones include:
If something is blocking a pipe, water will take longer to drain. If you notice a sudden change in your drainage speed, it’s wise to get a professional to have a look.
If food debris is stuck in your pipes, it can make a strong smell as it decomposes! Smells can get worse as you run water through too.
When something is stuck in your drain, air pockets can get trapped. As water runs, the trapped air escapes and makes a gurgling sound.
Overflows/raised water levels
If you notice your toilet water levels rise higher than usual after flushing, you may have a blockage. If the water rises high enough to overflow, it’s a good idea to contact a specialist right away! We offer 24/7 emergency callouts to protect the health and hygiene of your home.